Irish Whiskey-Caramel Sauce
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
- 2 ounces (about ¼ cup) cream cheese
- ¼ cup Irish whiskey
- ¼ cup cream or milk
– Combine sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly.
– Continue to cook without stirring until golden (about 15 minutes).
– Remove from heat and carefully add butter and cream cheese, stirring constantly with a whisk. It will be very hot and will bubble vigorously.
– Cool slightly before stirring in whiskey and cream (or milk). Drizzle over warm bread pudding and serve.