Bread Pudding with Irish Whiskey Caramel Sauce
- Yield: 6-10 servings
- Butter or cooking spray to grease pan
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- 1 loaf (unseeded) French or Italian bread
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Soak raisins in whiskey for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes and set aside (this works very well with day-old bread).
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, then add cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and spices. Stir in raisins (undrained) into egg mixture, then add bread, stirring to coat very well. Let soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread bread mixture evenly into prepared baking dish (it will pretty much be in one layer, just covering the bottom). Bake until set, about 35 minutes. Serve with warm Irish Whiskey Caramel Sauce.
If you’re feeling particularly indulgent, you could serve this for breakfast or brunch. Otherwise, think of it as a rich, custardy dessert. You’ll need to know that this takes some planning since a few steps need soaking time, so don’t expect to make this just before you want to serve it.