Irish Oatmeal Crumble with Apples
- 4 Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup Cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Quick cooking Irish oatmeal, like McCann’s or Flahavan’s
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Arrange apple slices evenly in prepared dish. I overlapped them slightly and had 4 layers of apples.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar and flour and mix until coarse crumbs form. I started with the cut in method to incorporate the butter faster. Do this by using a pastry cutter or two butter knives that you’ll draw outward toward you through the mixture repeatedly, crossing in the middle.
- Stir in the oatmeal and spices and mix well (I used my hands). Spread evenly over top of the apples. It may seem like a lot of topping but trust me! It bakes into caramelly, crisp, chewy, irresistible goodness.
- Bake 40-45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool with Whiskey Custard.
Recipe courtesy of Vicki Day