- 1 1/4 cups Milk
- 1 1/4 cups Heavy cream
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk and cream to a boil over medium heat, watching closely so it doesn’t bubble over or burn. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- Place another saucepan, this one with a few inches of water, on the stove and bring to a boil. (This will be for finishing the custard). Meanwhile:
- Tempering: Place the pan of hot milk next to egg bowl. Place one ladleful of milk into eggs, whisking constantly. Add more hot milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly until fully incorporated.
- Pour into a large heatproof bowl that will sit on top of the saucepan of water without touching the water. Place bowl over saucepan. Whisk custard frequently until it thickens but is still pourable, 10-15 minutes. Mixture should coat the back of a spoon and leave a line when you drag your finger through it.
- Remove from heat and whisk in whiskey.
- Enjoy on its own or as a topping for your favorite dessert.
Recipe courtesy of Vicki Day