Creamy Cauliflower Risotto
- Yield: Serves 6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- 1 cauliflower head, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch florets, divided
- 4 to 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or half-and-half
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl toss cauliflower with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Spread on a rimmed baking pan; season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until fork-tender and browned. Reserve half of the florets in a bowl; set aside. Place remaining half of the florets in a large bowl; add cream. Using a handheld immersion blender, blend until mixture is smooth; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan bring broth to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a deep-sided skillet heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and thyme; sauté 4 to 6 minutes or until onions soften. Add rice to skillet; sauté 1 minute or until slightly toasted. Add 1/2 cup of the broth; cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Repeat, adding broth in 1/2 cup amounts, cooking and stirring 18 to 20 minutes or until broth is absorbed, and rice is creamy and al dente.
- Stir in cauliflower–cream mixture and Parmesan; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in reserved florets and (if desired) parsley; cook until heated through. Spoon into bowls, and serve.
Per serving: 410 calories, 20g fat, 8g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 9g protein