Vegan Zuppa Toscana
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Small white onions, diced
- 1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp Smoked paprika
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1/8 cup Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 4 cups Vegetable broth
- 2 Yellow potatoes, diced
- 400 ml can Light coconut milk
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 2 cups Kale, stems removed and cut into small pieces
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and spices and sauté for 5 minutes, until soft and fragrant.
- Add the garlic and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice. Deglaze the pan by scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Remove pot from heat. Blend the soup until smooth using a blender or an immersion blender.
- Return soup to the pot and add the potatoes, coconut milk, salt and pepper and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped kale, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Let it sit for a few minutes to allow the kale to soften.
- Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from RunningOnRealFood.com