The Best Baked Potato
- Yield: 1 serving
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 large Russet potato
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Optional toppings, such as butter, sour cream, shredded Cheddar and/or scallions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and position racks in top and bottom thirds.
- Wash potato thoroughly with a stiff brush and cold running water. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Using a fork, poke 8 – 12 deep holes all over the potato so that moisture can escape during cooking.
- Place in a bowl and coat lightly with oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and place potato directly on rack in middle of oven. Place a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
- Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp but flesh beneath is soft.
- Serve by creating a dotted line from end to end with your fork, then crack the potato open by squeezing the ends towards one another. It will pop right open.
- Add desired toppings and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from FoodNetwork.com