- 4-4 1/2 lb Whole chicken
- 2 tsp Chopped fresh rosemary, plus 2 whole sprigs
- 2 tsp Chopped fresh sage, plus 2 whole sprigs
- 2 tsp Chopped fresh thyme, plus 2 whole sprigs
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 6 tbsp Unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Large sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 Medium red onions, each cut into 6 wedges
- Four 1 inch thick slices Country bread, cubed
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry, inside and out.
- Combine the chopped rosemary, sage, thyme, nutmeg, 1 tbsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a bowl. Rub about two thirds of this mixture all over the chicken, inside and out. Place the herb sprigs inside the cavity. Set the chicken on a roasting rack to dry at room temperature for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the sweet potatoes, sprouts and onions in the bottom of a roasting pan. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of the melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining herb mixture. Stir to combine evenly.
- Place roasting rack with the chicken over the vegetables and roast until the chicken begins to brown, about 40 minutes.
- Toss the bread cubes in a large bowl with 2 tbsp melted butter, salt and pepper.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Carefully remove the rack and chicken and set aside. Mix the bread cubes into the pan with the vegetables. Put the chicken and rack back over the vegetables and brush the chicken with the remaining 2 tbsp butter.
- Continue to roast until the chicken skin is crisp and golden and the internal temperature reads 165 F, about 40 additional minutes.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 F.
- Stir the vegetables and bread and return to the oven until the vegetables are tender and the bread cubes are golden brown and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the roasted vegetables and bread.
Recipe adapted from etandoz.com