- Yield: Serves 3 to 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 8 minutes
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 medium shallot, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 1 Thai red chile pepper, seeded, cut into slivers*
- 1 lb. mussels, scrubbed and debearded (about 24)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. lime zest
- 3 to 4 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- In a Dutch oven or large deep skillet heat coconut milk over medium-high heat until warm. Whisk in lime juice and fish sauce. Add shallot, garlic and chile pepper; bring to boiling. Boil 1 minute.
- Add mussels; cover and cook 4 to 7 minutes or until mussels open fully. Remove pot from heat. (Discard any mussels that did not open.) Stir in lime zest. Spoon mussels and cooking liquid into individual bowls, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
Per serving: 306 calories, 20g fat, 15g saturated fat, 42mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 21g protein
*Use caution when handling hot peppers. Wear disposable gloves or wash hands in hot, soapy water afterward.