Zucchini Taco Boats
- Yield: 8 boats
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 4 Zucchini, about the same size
- 2 tbsp Olive oil, divided
- 3/4 tsp Salt, divided
- 1 Bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 lb Ground meat beef, turkey, or chicken
- 2 tbsb Taco seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Salsa
- 1 cup Shredded cheese, Cheddar or Mexican blend
- Green onions, finely chopped, optional
- Cilantro, finely chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut both ends off of each zucchini and slice in half lengthwise. Scoop the seeds out, leaving about ½ inch of zucchini around all sides. Set the scooped zucchini aside for later use.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of oil over the insides of the zucchini boats and sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt. Place zucchini flat-side down on prepared baking sheet in a single layer and bake in hot oven for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté bell pepper, onion, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper in 2 tbsp of oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of chopped zucchini flesh that was previously removed from the boats, and 2 cloves of crushed garlic. Continue sautéing for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Move the vegetables to the side of the skillet and add ground meat to the open area. Cook for 7-10 minute or until meat is completely cooked through. Drain any excess liquid from the pan when meat is done cooking.
- Turn off the heat and mix in seasoning ingredients, salsa and ¾ cup shredded cheese.
- Fill all 8 zucchini boats with equal amounts of the taco filling then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Return the zucchini to the oven and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Serve topped with chopped green onions and/or cilantro if desired.
Recipe adapted from EvolvingTable.com