Sweet Tea Fried Chicken
- 5 cups Water
- 5-6 Teabags
- 3/4 cup White sugar
- 1/3 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 8-10 Chicken pieces
- 3 Large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp + 2 tsp Seasoned salt
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- Boil water then remove from heat and add tea bags. Let steep for 20-30 minutes and remove the bags. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice and let come to room temperature.
- Place tea in a bowl and add chicken pieces, making sure they’re under the tea. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24-48.
- Once ready to cook, whisk eggs in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine flour, seasoned salt, cornstarch, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder in a large bowl.
- Dip a piece of chicken into the eg, coating all sides, then dip it into the seasoned flour, thoroughly coating each piece. Then place it on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat 1-1/2 inches of oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy bottom skillet over medium-high heat.
- Preheat oven to 275F. Put a parchment paper-lined baking sheet in the oven.
- Once hot, add enough chicken pieces to the oil as fits in your pan without overcrowding. Start with the dark meat pieces. Flip after the bottom starts to brown.
- Once both sides are slightly browned, put the lid on the pan for a few minutes to cook the inside of the chicken thoroughly.
- Remove the lid and continue to fry, flipping occasionally, until they are golden brown all over. Move to a paper-towel lined plate or rack to dry for a minute. Then move to the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm.
- Repeat the process with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Grandbaby-Cakes.com