Strawberry Tres Leches
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 cup Freeze dried strawberries
- 14 oz Condensed milk
- 12 oz Evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Red food coloring
- 1 1/3 cup Heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Sour cream
- 1/3 cup Powdered sugar, sifted
- Sliced strawberries
Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spraying a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar for 1 minute on medium speed, until the mixture is fluffy and pale in color.
- Pour in 1/3 of the buttermilk mixture followed by 1/3 of the flour, mixing well between each addition. Continue the pattern of adding 1/3 wet and then dry until all is added.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased pan and spread evenly. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely.
Make the Strawberry Tres Leches
- In a large bowl with a spout, whisk together the condensed milk, evaporated milk, milk vanilla extract and salt.
- Pulse the dried strawberries in a blender until it’s a fine powder. Add half of the milk mixture and pulse for a few more seconds. Whisk this mixture into the bowl with the rest of the milk mixture. Add a few drops of red food coloring to get that nice pink color.
- Use a toothpick to poke holes in the cooled cake and pour the tres leches over the cake. Cover with plastic wrap then let chill in the fridge for at least two hours.
Make the Topping
- Beat the heavy cream, sour cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract on low in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until combined. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until you get firm peaks.
- Use a spatula to spread the whipped topping evenly over your cake and garnish with sliced fresh strawberries.
Recipe adapted from ChicanoEats.com