Spiced Haddock Chowder
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 Haddock fillets
- 1 pint Milk
- 2 Bay leaves
- 8 Peppercorns
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 oz Butter
- 1 Carrot, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Rutabaga, roughly chopped
- 1 Red potato, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp Parsley, chopped
- Add milk, bay leaves and peppercorns to a saucepan.
- Cut fillets in half and add to pan. Bring mixture to a boil, then turn off the heat, cover with a lid and allow to sit on hot burner.
- Heat butter in a sauté pan and cook the onion until it starts to soften. Add the carrot, rutabaga, potato, mustard seeds and turmeric to the pan and cook until lightly browned.
- Remove the haddock from the milk, set aside and reserve the milk.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes. Pour the reserved milk over the vegetables and continue cooking, stirring continuously, until the sauce is thick and the vegetables are soft.
- Add the haddock to the pan and cook until warmed through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from AndrewMcDicken.com