- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive Oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 3 Roma tomatoes, very finely diced
- Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Paprika, sweet or smoked
- 1 pinch Saffron threads
- 1/4 cup White wine
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup Flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cups Spanish rice
- 5 cups Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Frozen peas
- 1/2 lb Jumbo shrimp or prawns, peeled and tails on
- 1/2 lb Mussels, cleaned
- 8 oz Calamari
- Lemons, for garnish
- Place olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add chopped tomato, bay leaf, paprika, saffron salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add white wine and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Add chicken pieces, 2 tbsp chopped and rice to the pot. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the broth all around the pan and jiggle the pan to get the rice into an even layer. Do not stir the mixture going forward.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low heat. Give the pan a gentle shake back and forth just once or twice during cooking. Don’t ever stir the rice, so that a crispy crust forms at the bottom.
- Cook, uncovered, for about 15-18 minutes.
- Nestle the shrimp, mussels and calamari into the mixture, sprinkle peas on top and continue to cook, without stirring, for 5 additional minutes. Watch for most of the liquid to be absorbed and the rice at the top nearly tender. If the rice is still not cooked, add 1/4 cup more water or broth and continue cooking until tender.
- Remove pan from heat and cover with a lid or foil. Place a kitchen towel over the lid and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon slices.
- Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from TastesBetterFromScratch.com