- Yield: 12-16 servings
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 2 1/2 lbs Spinach, chopped
- 3/4 cup Olive oil, divided
- 4 Large onions, diced
- 2 bunches Green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup Fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Fresh dill, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb Feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 Large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 lb Ricotta cheese
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lb Phyllo pastry sheets
- Make sure the spinach is dry before starting.
- Heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil in a deep pan and sauté the onions and green onions until tender.
- Add the spinach, parsley and dill, and cook until the spinach is wilted, 5 – 10 minutes
- Stir in the the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until any excess moisture evaporates. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the feta, eggs and ricotta.
- Add the cooled spinach and mix until well combined.
- Combine the melted butter and remaining 1/4 cup olive oil in a bowl. Use a pastry brush to lightly grease 2 (9 x 12-inch) rectangular pans.
- Carefully remove the phyllo roll from its packaging. Using scissors or a sharp knife, cut the sheets in half to make 2 stacks of 9 x 12-inch sheets. To prevent drying, cover one stack with wax paper and a damp paper towel while working with the other stack.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Layer 10 sheets of phyllo on the bottom of each pan. Brush each sheet with the butter-olive oil mixture before adding the next sheet.
- Add half of the spinach mixture to each pan and flatten into an even layer.
- Layer another 10 phyllo sheets on top of the spinach mixture in each pan, brushing each sheet with the butter-olive oil mixture before adding the next sheet.
- Gently score the top layer of the phyllo to make cutting easier once cooked.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until the pie is golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes before slicing.
Recipe adapted from TheSpruceEats.com