Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 (about 3 pounds) Medium butternut squash , peeled, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 ½ pounds Golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3 Medium shallots, peeled and quartered
- ¼ cup Vegetable oil
- 4 cups Low-sodium chicken broth(or vegetable for a vegetarian meal)
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Cider vinegar
- ⅛ tsp Ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Toss chopped squash, apples and shallots with oil, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper, then arrange in single layer on a large roasting pan.
- Roast, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes, or until vegetables are golden brown and softened.
- Add ½ cup broth to the pan and scrape up any browned bits with a spoon. Return to the oven and cook until the vegetables are glazed, about 5 minutes.
- Puree squash mixture and remaining broth in a blender until smooth, working in batches if needed.
- Transfer pureed squash to a large saucepan and stir in the maple syrup, vinegar, nutmeg and cream.
- Bring to simmer over medium-low heat, adding ¼ cup water at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Recipe adapted from CooksCountry.com