Red, White & Blue Cookie Bars
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/3 cup Sour cream
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Butter, softened
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 3 cups Powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp Corn syrup
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick spray or lightly oil.
- Add egg, sour cream and vanilla and combine.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and beat until smooth.
- Transfer dough to prepared pan and spread the dough to edges and gently flatten until it’s mostly even.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- Whisk vanilla icing ingredients together and spread a thin layer over the cookies.
- Whisk the royal icing ingredients together until smooth. Separate roughly 3 tbsp worth of icing each into 2 small bowls. Add a few drops of red coloring to one of the bowls and blue to the other. Stir until color is even. Transfer blue and red icing to separate baggies. Leave the rest of the icing white.
- Pour white icing onto the cookie bars and quickly spread over the entire surface, until smooth and even. Cut the corners of each of the baggies holding red and blue icing. Pipe red and blue lines of icing down the length of the cookie bars. Take a thin knife and swirl icing in even motions. Don’t over-swirl or you’re red and blue stripes will become purple.
- Let cookie bars cool and set for several hours before cutting.
Recipe adapted from ButterWithASideOfBread.com