Miso Shrimp Bisque
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 lb Raw large unpeeled shrimp
- 2 tbsp Canola oil
- 6 tbsp Unsalted tomato paste
- 2 cups Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup Carrot, chopped
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 6 cups Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 5 tbsp Brown rice miso, or miso of choice
- 1/4 cup Cream sherry
- 2 tsp Sherry vinegar
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp Fresh dill, chopped
- Coarsely ground black pepper, optional
- Peel and devein shrimp, saving the shells.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over high. Add shrimp shells and cook, stirring constantly, until bright red and slightly toasted, 3 – 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomato paste, onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add 6 cups water and bay leaf and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer about 50 minutes.
- Pour broth through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl and discard solids.
- Add shrimp broth, chicken stock, rice, miso and sherry to a stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 25 – 30 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Transfer mixture to a blender, working in batches if needed. Remove center piece of blender lid, secure lid and place a clean towel over opening in lid. Process mixture until smooth, about 60 seconds. Pour all processed broth back into the pot and stir in vinegar and cayenne. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat butter in a skillet over high heat. Once butter is foamy, add shrimp and cook about 3 minutes, until just translucent. Add 1 tbsp dill and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve soup immediately topped with shrimp, remaining dill and black pepper if using.
Recipe adapted from CookingLight.com