- Yield: Serves 16
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 large baking potato, peeled (2/3 lb.)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 4 tbsp. matzo meal or flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Toppings (optional): Chopped fresh dill, sour cream, applesauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Using the coarse side of a box grater, grate potato, parsnips and onion. Place grated vegetables in a large bowl of cold water. Let soak 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
- Spread grated vegetables onto a clean kitchen towel and roll up. Twist towel tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible. Place vegetables in a medium bowl. Stir in matzo meal, eggs, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches of 4, drop 1 tablespoon of the vegetable mixture per latke into the oil; flatten with a spoon. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain; season with salt to taste. Place in oven until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture.
- If desired, garnish with chopped dill and serve with sour cream or applesauce.
Per serving: 64 calories, 2g fat, 0g saturated fat, 27mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g protein