- Yield: Serves 16
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Large baking potato, peeled
- 2 Medium parsnips, peeled
- 1 Small onion, peeled
- 4 tbsp Matzo meal or flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- Optional toppings: Chopped fresh dill, sour cream, applesauce
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Using the coarse side of a box grater, grate potato, parsnips and onion. Place grated vegetables in a large bowl of cold water. Let soak 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
- Spread grated vegetables onto a clean kitchen towel and roll up. Twist towel tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible. Place vegetables in a medium bowl. Stir in matzo meal, eggs, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches of 4, drop 1 tbsp of the vegetable mixture per latke into the oil; flatten with a spoon. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain and season with salt to taste. Place in oven until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture.
- If desired, garnish with chopped dill and serve with sour cream or applesauce.