Pan-seared Ahi Tuna
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 8-oz Ahi tuna steaks, about 1 inch thick
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup Untoasted sesame seeds
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup San-J Gluten Free Tamari
- 1/8 cup Rice vinegar
- 1/8 cup Fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp Toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp Dried red pepper flakes
- Pat the tuna steaks dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Rub both sides of each steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the sesame seeds into a shallow plate or dish and coat each side of the steaks with the sesame seeds by pressing the fish into the seeds.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a nonstick sauté pan over high heat until the oil is very hot and just about to smoke. Add the tuna steaks and sear for 45 seconds without moving the steaks. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook for another 1 1/2 minutes. Flip the steaks and cook for an additional 2 minutes for rare tuna steaks, or 3 minutes for medium-rare.
- Cut the steaks on the diagonal into 1/4-inch thick slices. Plate the tuna steak slices on a platter lined with lettuce leaves.
- Prepare the dipping sauce by vigorously whisking together the San-J Gluten Free Tamari, vinegar, lime juice, sugar, green onions, ginger, sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately with the tuna steaks.
Recipe adapted from San-J.com