Orange Marinated Manchego
- Yield: 4 cups
- 1 head Garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- 1 Navel orange
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 lb Manchego cheese, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Thyme, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut the top 1/4 of the garlic bulb off and place on a sheet of foil. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt to taste. Wrap tightly in foil and bake 35-40 minutes. Cloves will be tender and skin will be golden brown. Let cool, then squeeze cloves into a bowl.
- Meanwhile, peel orange and set peel aside. Squeeze the juice into a bowl.
- Cut peel into 1/4 inch pieces and place in a small saucepan. Add enough cold water to top the peels by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and then drain the water. Repeat this process two more times in order to remove bitterness.
- After the third boil and drain, return orange peels to the saucepan and add sugar, orange juice and ½ cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until peels are soft and liquid is syrupy, 20–30 minutes. Set orange preserves aside to cool.
- Add cooled orange preserves, Manchego, rosemary, thyme and remaining 1 1/2 cups oil to the bowl with the garlic and gently toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours.
- Let marinated Manchego come to room temperature before serving with crusty or toasted bread.
Recipe adapted from BonApetit.com