Chicken with Red Cabbage
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 4 slices Bacon
- 1 tbsp Bacon drippings
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 lbs Chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 Red onion, sliced
- 1 Large apple, sliced
- 24 oz jar Red cabbage, drained
- 12 cup Red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Dry red wine
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, cook bacon on medium-high heat, until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon from pan, let cool then crumble. Leave the drippings in the skillet.
- Whisk together the flour, kosher salt and smoked paprika and coat both sides of the chicken thighs in the seasoned flour mixture.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat and once it’s hot, add the chicken thighs. Cook for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through to brown both sides. Remove thighs from the skillet and set aside.
- Drain all but 1 tbsp of the bacon grease from the skillet. Add the apple and onion and cook, stirring, until onion is translucent and apple is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red cabbage and bacon into apple mixture, sprinkle with salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage is warm, 5 – 8 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar, wine, brown sugar and cinnamon and bring mixture to a boil. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Arrange chicken thighs on top of cabbage.
- Bake until cabbage is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- Place chicken thighs on a platter and spoon cabbage mixture over top.
- Serve immediately.
Recipes adapted from AllRecipes.com