Mussels with Smoked Paprika
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 lbs Fresh mussels
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup White wine
- 28 oz Can of tomatoes
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Loaf crusty bread, for serving
- Tap any mussels that are open and discard any that do not close after being tapped. Rinse mussels under water and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until it softens, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, smoked paprika and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Stir well and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine. When bubbles subside, stir in tomatoes and their juice. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mussels to sauce, turn up the heat to medium high, cover and cook until steam pours out from under the lid for 5-7 minutes, until mussels open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Divide into bowls, garnish with chopped parsley and serve with crusty bread.
Recipe adapted from PEIMussel.com