Muenster, Cabbage and Apple Sandwich
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 Medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 cup Cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 large Cooking apple, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Stone-ground mustard
- 1 cup Muenster cheese, shredded
- 8 slices Caraway rye bread
- In a skillet, combine the onion, vinegar and water. Bring just to boiling and then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and simmer, covered, for 3 minutes.
- Add the apple slices and continue to simmer, covered, about 3 minutes more or until vegetables and apple are tender. Drain, then mix in the mustard.
- Layer the cabbage mixture and cheese on four of the bread slices. Top with the remaining four bread slices.
- Lightly coat outsides of the sandwiches with mayonnaise.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place sandwiches in skillet and weigh down with a sandwich press, or another heavy skillet, and cook for 1 – 2 minutes, or until bread is toasted.
- Flip sandwiches, weigh down again, and cook for 1 – 2 minutes more or until bread is toasted and filling is heated through.
- Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from BHG.com