Madeira Braised Beef Roast
- Yield: Serves 6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 4 hours, 20 minutes
- 2 Medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 tsp Canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 lbs Eye round roast
- 2 tbsp No-salt-added steak seasoning
- 1/2 lb Baby carrots
- 8 oz Whole button mushrooms, halved
- 3/4 cup Dry Madeira wine
- 2 tsp Fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp Brown sugar, optional
- Place onions in bottom of a slow cooker.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brush oil on all sides of beef and rub evenly with seasoning. Add beef to skillet and cook until well-browned on all sides. Place beef on top of onions in slow cooker. Place carrots and mushrooms around beef.
- Return skillet to heat. Add wine and cook, stirring to scrape up browned bits on bottom of skillet. Pour over beef and vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on LOW 4 hours or until an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F. Transfer beef to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add thyme and brown sugar, if using, to vegetables and cooking liquid. Stir to combine.
- Thinly slice beef across the grain, and place on a serving platter.
- Add vegetables and cooking liquid, and serve.