Madeira Braised Beef Roast
- Yield: Serves 6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 4 hours, 20 minutes
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 tsp. canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. eye round roast
- 2 tbsp. no-salt-added steak seasoning
- 1/2 lb. baby carrots
- 8 oz. whole button mushrooms, halved
- 3/4 cup dry Madeira wine
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. brown sugar (optional)
- Place onions in bottom of a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush oil on all sides of beef and rub evenly with seasoning. Add beef to skillet; cook until well-browned on all sides. Place beef on top of onions in slow cooker. Place carrots and mushrooms around beef.
- Return skillet to heat. Add wine; cook, stirring to scrape up browned bits on bottom of skillet. Pour over beef and vegetables in slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on LOW 4 hours or until an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F. Transfer beef to a cutting board; let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, add thyme and (if desired) brown sugar to vegetables and cooking liquid; stir to combine. Thinly slice beef across the grain, and place on a serving platter. Add vegetables and cooking liquid, and serve.
Per serving: 280 calories, 7g fat, 2g saturated fat, 78mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 35g protein