Low Country Pickled Shrimp
- 2 lbs Uncooked large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 inch piece Ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp Pickling spice
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp Mace or ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Olive oil
- 2 Lemons, sliced
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 4 Bay leaves
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- Combine the ingredients for the brine in a large skillet or dutch oven. Heat to almost boiling over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp, cover skillet and remove from the heat. Allow to stand for a couple minutes until the shrimp are cooked through. They will change color and turn opaque. Stir once or twice while standing to make sure the shrimp on top get submerged completely as well.
- Meanwhile combine the marinade ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cooked shrimp and the remaining brine to the bowl with the marinade and stir well to mix.
- Serve immediately, or chill for two hours. If chilling the shrimp for more than two hours, remove them from the marinade and store separately to keep the shrimp from becoming rubbery.
- When ready to serve, arrange the shrimp, onions and lemons on a platter and spoon some of the reserved marinade over top.
Recipe adapted from LydiasFlexitarianKitchen.com