Littleneck Clams with Garlic Scape Aioli
- 32 Littleneck clams
- ¼ cup Parsley leaves
- ¼ cup Basil leaves
- 1 Garlic scape, or 1 - 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Whole egg
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
Make the aioli
- Remove the scraggly top from the scape. Save for garnish.
- Cut the ropey part into ¼ inch pieces. You should have about 3 tablespoons.
- Put the scape into the blender with the egg, lemon juice and mustard and puree.
- With the motor on, add the oils in a slow and steady steam to the top to form an emulsion.
- Taste and adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
Make the clams
- Scrub the clams. Discard any clams that remain open when tapped.
- In a big pot, add the clams, and 1-2 cup water. Don’t submerge the clams. Cover the pot and cook over medium heat until the clams open. You’ll want to take the clams out one by one and transfer to a bowl as they won’t all open at the same time. Add additional water as needed. Discard any clams that don’t open.
- Add the clams to a bowl and add the herbs.
- Serve with aioli and crusty bread on the side.
Recipe adapted from TheGarumFactory.com