Italian Sausage–Spinach Calzones
- Yield: Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 3/4 lb. Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-oz.) container part-skim ricotta
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (4 oz.)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 (10-oz.) pkg. frozen spinach, thawed, drained well
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. fresh pizza dough
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Additional marinara sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat 2 large nonstick baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage; cook 6 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring to break up sausage. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; cook and stir 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain; let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl combine ricotta, Italian cheese blend, egg yolk, spinach, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch round. Place rounds on baking sheets. Evenly spoon cheese mixture on half of each round, leaving a 1-inch border. Top evenly with sausage. Top each with 1/4 cup marinara.
- Fold dough over filling until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edge over top edge, and crimp edges to seal. Prick the tops with a fork to vent steam.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with additional marinara, if desired. Serve warm.