Skip to content
Italian Sausage–Spinach Calzones
- Yield: Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 3/4 lb Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- 15 oz Part-skim ricotta
- 1 cup Italian cheese blend, shredded
- 1 large Egg yolk
- 10 oz Frozen spinach, thawed, drained well
- 16 oz Fresh pizza dough
- 1 cup Marinara sauce, extra for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Coat 2 large nonstick baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook for 6 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring to break up sausage.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook and stir 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl combine ricotta, Italian cheese blend, egg yolk, spinach and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch round. Place rounds on baking sheets. Evenly spoon cheese mixture on half of each round, leaving a 1-inch border. Top evenly with sausage. Top each with 1/4 cup marinara.
- Fold dough over filling until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edge over top edge, and crimp edges to seal. Prick the tops with a fork to vent steam.
- Bake 12 – 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with additional marinara, if desired. Serve warm.