Irish Cheddar & Scallion Biscuits
- 2 cups Self-rising flour, plus more for kneading
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 7 tbsp Cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk, plus additional for brushing
- 1/2 cup Irish Cheddar cheese, shredded, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup Green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour and baking soda. Add cold butter and cut it into flour with a pastry blender until texture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the flour, pour in the buttermilk and mix with a fork just until mixture starts to come together to form a shaggy dough.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface and shape into rough rectangle. Fold into thirds using a bench scraper and press again into a rectangle. Add more flour if it starts sticking to the surface.
- Roll dough to a 1/2 inch thickness. Sprinkle with half of the cheese and half of the green onions. Fold dough into thirds, and roll out again to about a 1/2 inch thickness. Top with remaining cheese and green onions, fold into thirds and roll out again to about a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut biscuits with a 2 or 3 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet. Brush lightly with buttermilk and sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown and cooked through.
- Place biscuits on a rack to cool.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com