Honey Ginger Candied Grapefruit
- Yield: 20 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
- 2 Large ruby red grapefruits
- 2 1/2 cups Natural cane sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 2-inch pieces Fresh ginger, peeled and very thinly sliced
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a cooling rack on top of the paper.
- Cut grapefruits into quarters. Pull the peel away from the fruit and separate them completely.
- Cut the peels in long, thin strips.
- Place peels in a pot and add enough water to just cover them. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 3 minutes. Drain the water and repeat the process two more times using fresh water each time.
- After the third drain, remove the peels from the pot, add 2 cups water, 2 cups sugar and honey and bring to boil. Add in the grapefruit peels and the ginger, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours. The grapefruit peels will be translucent.
- Remove grapefruit peels and ginger slices from the syrup and arrange them spaced out on the prepared cooling rack.
- Allow them to dry for a few hours or overnight.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl and roll the peels and ginger in the sugar to coat.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from PinchAndSwirl.com