Heart-Healthy Eggplant “Meatballs”
- 1-15oz can of cannellini beans, rinsed and mashed
- ½ cup of chopped parsley and/or basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- ½ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place eggplant on top. Using a fork, prick the eggplant 4–5 times and roast until it has completely collapsed and a knife easily slips into the center, approximately 40–50 minutes. Cool the eggplant for 20 minutes.
- Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. Discard the skin.
- Place the remaining eggplant in a large bowl and stir in the egg and mashed beans. Add garlic, basil or parsley, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and stir to combine, then mix in the bread crumbs.
- Re-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Shape the eggplant mixture into balls the size of a golf ball. Line a baking sheet with foil, spray with non-stick oil spray and bake the eggplant balls for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown, turning once about halfway through.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan.