Grains and Green Bean Salad
- Yield: Serves 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup Wheat berries
- 2 cups Vegetable broth
- 12 oz Fresh green beans, trimmed and halved on the bias
- 1/4 cup White wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- In a saucepan combine wheat berries and broth. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add beans and cook 4 – 5 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain, then immediately place beans in a large bowl of ice water. Let stand in ice water for 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together vinegar, shallot, mustard and thyme. Gradually whisk in oil until well-combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In a large serving bowl combine wheat berries and beans. Add dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with toasted almonds (if desired), and serve.