German Chicken Fricassee
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 8 oz Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs Boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 1 cup Frozen peas
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms, carrot and onion until softened and lightly browned. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining butter and lightly cook chicken, stopping before it browns. Stir in the flour.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Return vegetables to the pan, cover and gently simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Add a bit of water if the sauce gets too thick or starts drying out.
- Mix in peas and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Serve over German egg noodles or steamed rice.
Recipe adapted from Quick-German-Recipes.com