German Butter Cookies
- Yield: 5-6 dozen
- 6 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 lb Butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs, 1 lightly beaten
- 1/2 cups Riesling, or other fruity wine
- In a bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon and salt together.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter to separate. Then slowly add 2 cups sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in 2 eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Alternately mix in the dry ingredients and wine about one-third at a time, starting with the dry ingredients.
- Divide dough into 5 equal parts, flatten into discs, wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease cookie sheets with spray or butter.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disc at a time to about 1⁄4″ thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutters of choice and place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Beat last egg and brush cookies with it and sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until cookies are golden.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Decorate as desired and enjoy, or store in a cookie jar.
Recipe adapted from Saveur.com