Fruit Salad with Basil and Lime Syrup
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Fresh lime juice
- Zest from 2-3 limes, depending on size
- 2 Mangoes, diced
- 1 Cantaloupe, diced
- 4 Kiwi fruit, sliced
- 3 cups Fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 cup Fresh blueberries
- 8-10 Basil leaves
MAKE LIME SYRUP:
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in lime juice and zest and allow to come to room temperature.
MAKE AHEAD up to one day. Cover and chill after bringing to room temperature.
MAKE THE SALAD:
- Place all cut fruit in a large bowl.
- Chiffonade the basil: stack 4 or 5 leaves together facing the same way. Tightly roll the leaves into a tiny cigar-like roll. Slice thinly cross-wise. When unrolled you should have delicate ribbons.
- Pour some of the lime syrup over the fruit and toss gently to coat. Add basil and toss again, adding more syrup if needed
- Any leftover syrup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about one week and is excellent in drinks
Recipe by Vicki Day as published in Dutchess News