Fruit and Grain Salad w/Edible Flowers and Strawberry Vinaigrette
- Yield: Serves 4-6
- 2 Tbs. champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, chopped or red onion
- pinch of sugar
- 3 strawberries (or 2 if very large)
- sea salt
- 1 tbs lemon balm
- 1/3 cup neutral/light flavored oil (like grape seed or sunflower)
- 1 tbs water
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed lettuces, ripped or sliced into big-bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup chunked melon or cantaloupe
- 1 cup strawberries, halved if large
- 1 cup blackberries or raspberries
- 1/4 cup chopped, mixed herbs (basil, lemon balm, thyme, mint, chives)
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped nuts (macadamia &/or pecans)
- handful of edible flowers/petals (nasturtium + a few of their leaves, marigold, viola, strawberry, thyme, rose)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup cooked barley
Place everything in the jar of a blender and whirl it all up (salt and pepper to taste).
- Combine and arrange everything so that it looks pretty in a large, shallow serving bowl.
- Toss your lettuces together, if you are using more than one kind.
- Cover the bottom of the bowl. Spread out your grains and fruits.
- Sprinkle everything with the herbs and flowers/petals.
- Add the nuts.
- Dish out portions and pass the vinaigrette and pepper mill.
*Submitted by Marita Orr, www.withseedsofintention.com