French Onion Soup with Gruyere
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 4 Large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Dry white wine
- 4 1/4 cups Vegetable stock
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 slices Baguette
- 3.5 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
- Melt butter and oil in a large saucepan and add the onions and garlic.
- Cover the saucepan and cook on medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar and salt and cook over medium heat until they are thoroughly soft.
- Add the stock wine and herbs and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Cut 4 slices of baguette and dry in an oven for 5 minutes.
- Divide the soup into 4 heatproof bowls and place on an oven tray.
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Top the soup with bread and cover with the cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve immediately, being careful with the hot bowls.
Recipe adapted from ChezLeReveFrancais.com