Deep Fried Scallops
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 lb Bay scallops
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk (or water)
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- Rinse the scallops under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels. Remove the tough white side muscle if not already removed.
- Heat 2 – 3 inches of vegetable oil in a deep, heavy cast-iron skillet, saucepan, or deep fryer to 350 F.
- Line a baking pan or baking sheet with 2 or 3 paper towels and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, paprika and black pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs together with the milk.
- Put the fine breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Dip a few of the scallops in the seasoned flour mixture, then in the egg mixture, and then roll them in the breadcrumbs to coat. Repeat with the remaining scallops.
- Add several scallops to the hot oil, being careful not to crowd them. Fry until golden brown, about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes. They should be warm in the middle, but still moist.
- Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer them to the paper-towel-lined pan. Shake the pan gently for a few seconds so the scallops roll around and excess oil is absorbed.
- Repeat in batches with remaining scallops until all are cooked.<
- Serve immediately with your choice of sauce.
Recipe adapted from TheSpruceEats.com