Crispy Cod Tacos
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- ⅓ cup Onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic clove, chopped
- 2 cups Diced tomato
- ½ tsp Oregano
- 1 large Bay leaf
- 1 lb Cod
- 12 Corn tortillas
- 32 Wooden toothpicks
- 1½ cups Vegetable oil
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato, oregano and bay leaf and mix well. Cover the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Place the fish in the tomato sauce, cover and cook for 6 minutes. As the fish starts to break apart, carefully begin separating it into smaller pieces.
- Leave the lid off and cook for about 4 minutes more, until the liquid evaporates. Stir well and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Warm the tortillas on a griddle over medium heat, just enough to make them soft and pliable. Place on a plate and cover with a napkin or towel.
- Place the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating up, form the pescadillas by spreading about 1½ tbsp of the fish filling in the center of one half of the tortilla, making sure that the filling doesn’t get too close to the edge of the tortillas.
- Fold the tortilla to close it and insert two toothpicks near the edge of the tortillas. Thread the toothpick to go to the other side of the pescadilla and come back out.
- Place the assembled pescadilla in the hot oil and fry for about 4-5 minutes per side until golden brown. Once fried, place it on a plate lined with napkins. Repeat with the remaining pescadillas.
- To serve, top with shredded cabbage and spicy red salsa.
Recipe adapted from MexicoInMyKitchen.com