Corn Cake Stacks
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cup Fresh corn kernels
- 1/4 cup Red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tbsp Cornmeal
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 2 Large eggs
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup Aged Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together corn, bell pepper, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder and egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into corn mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Working in batches, drop the batter by scant 1/4-cup mounds into the oil, flattening them slightly with a spatula, and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to a baking sheet and repeat with remaining batter and 2 tbsp oil as needed.
- Divide cheddar evenly among corn cakes and bake for 1 minute, just until cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven, and make 4 stacks of 3 cakes each. Top stacks evenly with arugula.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from CountryLiving.com