- 3 lbs Russet potatoes, quartered
- 1 stick (¼ cup) Butter, divided
- 1¼ cups Milk
- Pinch of nutmeg (not more than ¼ teaspoon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head Cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- 2 Leeks, trimmed and soaked to remove all grit, finely chopped (pale green and white parts only)
- Boil potatoes until tender in salted water. Drain, mash with some of the butter and a little milk and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place cabbage, leeks, 2 tbsp butter, 1 cup milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste in a large saucepan and cook, covered, until tender but not browned, about 15 minutes.
- Stir into potatoes, mixing well.
- Preheat broiler. Spread mixture into a square baking dish, making a shallow well in the center. Broil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Place at least 2 tablespoons of butter on top and serve immediately.