- 3lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 stick (¼ cup) butter, divided (you may not use all of it)
- 1¼ cups milk
- pinch of nutmeg (not more than ¼ teaspoon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- 2 leeks, trimmed and soaked to remove all grit, finely chopped (pale green and white parts only)
– Boil potatoes until tender in salted water. Drain, mash with some of the butter and a little milk and set aside.
– Meanwhile, place cabbage, leeks, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 cup milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste in a large saucepan and cook, covered, until tender but not browned, about 15 minutes.
– Stir into potatoes, mixing well.
– Preheat broiler. Spread mixture into a square baking dish, making a shallow well in the center. Broil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
– Place at least 2 tablespoons of butter on top and serve immediately.