Classic Irish Coffee
- 2 cups freshly-brewed strong hot coffee
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 jiggers Irish whiskey (a jigger equals 1.5 ounces or 3 tablespoons)
- heavy cream for whipping
WHIP THE CREAM:
Beat heavy cream in a medium bowl until it starts to just thicken. Add sugar a tablespoon at a time to sweeten to taste and continue to beat until it whips to desired consistency (I prefer not to whip it into stiff peaks for this). You can also add 1-2 tablespoons of Bailey’s Irish Cream, whiskey or vanilla to the cream, if you like, but do so after it has started to thicken. Set aside.
ASSEMBLE THE COFFEE:
– Pour hot water into 2 footed mugs (or whatever drinking vessels you have that will hold hot liquid) and set aside.
– Warm the whiskey over low heat. Empty hot water from mugs, add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to each and pour coffee to ¾ full.
– Add warmed whiskey and stir to blend. Put a generous dollop of whipped cream on each and serve immediately.