Classic Irish Coffee
- 2 cups Freshly-brewed strong hot coffee
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 6 tbsp Irish whiskey
- Heavy cream for whipping
Whip the Cream:
- Beat heavy cream in a medium bowl until it starts to just thicken.
- Add sugar a tablespoon at a time to sweeten to taste and continue to beat until it whips to desired consistency (I prefer not to whip it into stiff peaks for this).
- You can also add 1-2 tablespoons of Bailey’s Irish Cream, whiskey or vanilla to the cream, if you like, but do so after it has started to thicken.
- Set aside.
Assemble the Coffee:
- Pour hot water into 2 footed mugs (or whatever drinking vessels you have that will hold hot liquid) and set aside.
- Warm the whiskey over low heat. Empty hot water from mugs, add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to each and pour coffee to ¾ full.
- Add warmed whiskey and stir to blend. Put a generous dollop of whipped cream on each and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Vicki Day