Clams with Late Summer Squash
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups Olive oil, plus 2 tbsp
- 4 cloves Garlic, smashed
- 1 cup Packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp Fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups Grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 large Shallot, chopped
- 32 Littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 2 cups Dry white wine
- 1 lb Mixed summer squash, cut into 1/3 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp Butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- Toasted baguette slices
- In a blender, puree 1 cup olive oil and 2 garlic cloves. Add basil and 2 tsp sea salt and puree until basil is finely chopped. Transfer pistou to bowl, cover and chill.
- Place grape tomatoes in a bowl, sprinkle with salt, stir and let stand for 10 minutes. Mix in 1/2 cup olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add shallot and remaining 2 garlic cloves and sauté until shallot and garlic begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add clams and stir to coat. Add wine, increase heat to high, cover and cook until clams open, about 8 minutes. Using tongs, divide clams among large bowls (discard any clams that do not open).
- Add summer squash to broth in pot. Cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in 1/4 cup pistou, butter and lemon juice. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce and squash over clams in bowls. Spoon tomatoes over and drizzle with oil from tomatoes.
- Serve immediately with toasted baguette slices for dipping.
Recipe adapted from BonApetit.com