Chris Brill’s Sunday Gravy
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1lb beef short ribs
- 1lb country-style pork ribs
- 1lb beef chuck roast
- 1lb Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. dried sweet basil
- 2 Tbsp. fennel seed
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 2 - 28oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 - 28oz can tomato puree
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 - 6oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Pasta of your choosing
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Season the short ribs, country style ribs, and chuck roast with salt and pepper and brown in the oil, then remove and set aside.
2. Add the sausage and cook until browned.
3. Add the onions to the pan and sauté until they are tender. Add the carrot and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add the dried herbs and spices then deglaze with the red wine.
5. Add the tomato products and broth to the pan, mix well and bring to a simmer.
6. Return the meat to the pan. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring often, until all the meat is tender and falling off the bones. Alternately, you may cover the pan and place the sauce in a 325 degree oven and braise until the meat is tender. Either way, cook for about 2 to 2 ½ hours.
7. Finish the sauce with the fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper.
8. Toss with pasta and serve with Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.