Chicken with Amarillito Mole
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- 2 Ancho chiles, seeded
- 2 Guajillo chiles, seeded
- 1 lb Tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 Tomato
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 Whole cloves
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 8 Chicken pieces, with skin and bones
- 1/4 cup White onion, chopped
- 5 cups Chicken broth
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When hot, toast both chiles for about 10 – 15 seconds per side.
- Place them in a cooking pot and add the tomatillos, tomato and garlic cloves. Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender with the cloves, ground cinnamon, oregano, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces, skin side down, and cook 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Add the onion and cook a few minutes until soft. Pour the reserved sauce on top and cook 8-10 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the mole is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Recipe adapted from PatiJinich.com