Butterflied Grilled Chicken
- Yield: Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh oregano
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 lb Whole chicken
- For the herb butter, in a small bowl combine butter, jalapeño, sage, oregano, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Cover and set aside.
- To butterfly the chicken, place chicken, breast side down, on a cutting board. With kitchen shears, cut along either side of the backbone and remove; discard backbone. Pry chicken open and place bone side down. Flatten the chicken by pressing hard down the middle.
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high indirect heat.
- Gently loosen and lift the skin from the chicken breast. Spread half of the herb butter under the skin, being careful not to tear the skin.
- Place chicken, skin side down, on grill rack over direct heat. Grill, covered, 10 minutes. Carefully turn chicken; grill, covered, 5 minutes more.
- Move chicken to indirect heat, leaving skin side up. Baste with remaining herb butter. Grill, covered, 15 to 25 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 165°F.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Let stand 10 minutes before carving.