- Yield: 2 servings
- 1 head Broccoli, broken into small florets
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices Pumpernickel rye bread
- 1/2 cup Sauerkraut, drained
- Unsalted butter
- 4 Plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup Raw cashews
- 1/8 cup Lemon juice
- 1/8 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Dill pickle, minced
- Make the dressing by placing the tomatoes, cashews, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt in a blender and processing until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the pickle and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Butter one side of the bread and put the buttered side down in pan. Toast until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Place bread, toasted side down, on a baking sheet.
- Wipe skillet out and add 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Add broccoli and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until slightly charred and soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Move broccoli to a plate and set aside.
- Spread a layer of dressing over untoasted side of each bread slice. Next layer broccoli over 2 of the bread slices, followed by the sauerkraut and then the cheese. Top with the remaining bread slices and bake until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from EatPrettyNYC.com