- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 cup White onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 5 cups Chicken broth
- 1 lb Dried black eyed peas, rinsed
- 1 lb Smoked turkey leg, fully cooked
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf
- Boil enough water to cover the peas. Remove from heat, add peas to hot water and let soak for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the chicken broth, black eyed peas, smoked turkey, Creole seasoning and bay leaf.
- Cover with a lid, lower heat to medium-low and cook for 2-3 hours until the beans are soft. Remove from heat.
- Remove the bay leaf and smoked turkey. If you want meat in your peas, shred the turkey meat and add back to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let cool before serving.
Recipe adapted from StaySnatched.com