Beef and Cheese Empanadas
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 3 1/4 cups All-purpose flour
- 6 oz Cold butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Small eggs
- 1/2 cup Ice water
- 1 1/2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2-3 Chipotles in adobo
- 1 tbsp Adobo sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Black pepper
- Splash of water
- Mix the flour and salt. Add the butter and mix into the flour mixture with your fingers. It should be crumbly with some chunks of butter still visible.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, vinegar and ice water. Add this mixture to the flour and use a fork to roughly combine.
- Place the dough on a work surface. Combine it enough to form a cohesive ball, but don’t knead it.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the beef filling. Sauté the onion in a small amount of oil over medium-high heat for a few minutes, until translucent.
- Add beef and cook until browned through. Drain the fat if desired.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the chipotles, adobo sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and splash of water. Let it simmer, stirring often.
- Once the dough has been chilled, it’s time to roll it out. Sprinkle your work surface and rolling pin with flour before starting. Roll the dough down to 1/4 inch thickness. Use a biscuit cutter or wide glass to cut out circles of the dough.
- Spoon 1-2 tbs of the beef mixture on to each round and add plenty of cheese chunks. Lift both edges of the round and seal the edges using your fingers or a fork.
- Crack the egg into a bowl, add a splash of water and whisk. Brush the empanadas with the prepared egg wash.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place empanadas on a baking sheet and cook until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from MexicanPlease.com