Basil Ice Cream
- 5 cups heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (split length wise)
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 bunch basil picked
- 1 pinch of salt
- Steep basil in cream until wilted and fragrant.
- Blend till smooth and combine with heavy cream, salt and vanilla bean then bring to simmer.
- In a separate bowl beat egg yolks and sugar.
- Pour 1/3 of cream mixture to the pot and slowly simmer until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain and cool.
- Finish according to manufacturers directions for your favorite ice cream maker.
Shortbread or snicker-doodle cookies, strawberries or strawberry syrup, aged balsamic
Thank you to Chef Courtney Jemison for this recipe.